Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Knock at Midnight

Recently I've been thinking alot of Martin Luther King Jr. During times in my life I'm sharing Christianity with folks whose hearts are very hard to everything religious, believing religion is self-help at best and a scourge to the world at worst. Sometimes I would cite Martin Luther King Jr. as an awesome Christian because that's one person that everyone except Klan members are excited about.
I also did it tentatively because I didn't know what Mr. King was about theologically. I know he's done awesome stuff rights and race issues but I didn't know what the Reverend part of his title was about. Was he a black liberation theologian which is at the very least is a very different strange of Christianity or was he more what we would call evangelical but with big dreams and guts? I was further clouded because he's not cited more by evangelicals today, could it be because many of his beliefs didn't line up or is it an oversight?
I decided to do my own research instead of just letting a wiki do it for me. I got A Knock at Midnight from the library and I've slowly started digging in as I have time.
I'm only of his sermons in but what a treat it has been so far. I'm finding it to be an amazing read. Mr. King is an amazing communicator clearly and his messages are very biblically based in my estimation.
Each sermon is in chronological order and has an introduction by editors who knew him. So at this point I'm still in "early King" but I'm really enjoying it. As I keep reading I'm looking forward to finding out if Mr. King stays one of my favorite reverends or a pastor who although he moved civil rights lost out on mainstream Christianity.
Only time, and my reading speed will tell.

No comments: